The Good Place explores the idea of “what we owe to each other” in an excellent blend of comedy, drama, and philosophy. In Michael Schur’s masterpiece, the series — especially with its legendary finale yesterday — continued to make us laugh, cry, and think. With four seasons of great content, it was difficult to rank the 10 best quotes, but I think you’ll enjoy.
1. “What matters isn’t if people are good or bad. What matters is if they’re trying to be better today than they were yesterday. You asked me where my hope comes from. That’s your answer.” — Michael, (“A Chip Driver Mystery”)
2. “All humans are aware of death. So we’re all a little bit sad all the time. That’s just the deal . . . but we don’t get offered any other ones. And if you try and ignore your sadness, it just ends up leaking out of you anyway. I’ve been there. And everybody’s been there. So don’t fight it.” — Eleanor, (“Existential Crisis”)
3. “If there were an answer I could give you to how the universe works, it wouldn’t be special. It would just be machinery fulfilling its cosmic design. It would just be a big, dumb food processor. But since nothing seems to make sense, when you find something or someone who does, it’s euphoria.” — Janet, (“Pandemonium”)
4. “If soul mates do exist, they’re not found. They’re made. People meet, they get a good feeling, and then they get to work building a relationship.” — Michael, (“The Answer”).
5. “If you’re always frozen in fear and taking too long to think about what to do, you’ll miss your opportunity.” — Jason, (“The Answer”)
6. “We choose to be good because of our bonds with other people and our innate desire to treat them with dignity. Simply put, We are not in this alone.” — Chidi, (“Somewhere Else”)
7. “If all you care about in the world is the velvet rope (your status), you will always be unhappy no matter which side you’re on.” — Tahani, (“Chillaxing”)
8. “Knowing that you don’t have to be here forever will help you feel happier while you are.” — Tahani, (“Patty”)
9. “In football, trying to run out the clock and hoping for the best never works. It’s called ‘prevent defense.’ You don’t take any chances and just try and hang on to your lead. But prevent defense just prevents you from winning. It’s always better to try something.” — Jason, (“Help Is Other People”)
10. “The fact that it makes you nervous is exactly why you should do it.” — Michael, (“ Tahani Al-Jamil”)
Arguably no other show made us think like The Good Place, especially in only four seasons. Yet, the story wrapped up beautifully, and its wisdom lives on.
If you’re curious for more quotes: